Griggstown Volunteer Company was formed in 1946 through the Griggstown Improvement Association. The first Fire Chief was Ed Tornquist Sr. The first “Fire House” was a garage behind Ed’s store at the Griggstown Causeway. On October 9th , 1946 the first fire engine was purchased from Kingston Fire Company. The Brockway Chemical Truck was delivered on Dec 11th , 1946. Local donations were gathered to purchase the needed equipment and a siren for the “Fire House”.
The first members included: Edward Camp, Raymond Peters, Steve Galick, Ozzie Hoepfner, Eiven “Lefty” Nilsen, Magnus Madsen, H. Friedberg, Paul Skodacek, John “Unc” Langfeldt, Stanly Madsen, Art Sandvik, Charles Battle, Hunt Corrigan, Fred Carrol, Kenneth Green, John Walleck, John Langfeldt, John Rightmire, Dave Kleiber, Andy Marck, Edward Tornquist, Dave Smith, Arthur Carroll, Lloyd Van Doren, Karl Holst, Torliev Rosfjord, and LeRoy Strasburger.
To aid the firemen and to promote the fire company in both social and fundraising activities, a Woman’s Auxiliary was formed in November 1947. Their efforts made it possible for the 1948 building committee to purchase the current property on Canal Road between Sterling and Mosher Rd.
The construction of the new Fire House began and the first floor was completed in 1952. Additions and renovations have continued to be made to the original structure and there are now four truck bays and the second floor has a large hall that is available for rentals, a large kitchen, and the “Members Room”.
The original “Women’s Auxiliary” lapsed and a new “Ladies Auxiliary” was formed in —–. The “Ladies” are still an active part of the Fire Company and continue to promote social activities and local community events.
Some of the social events and fundraisers included house tours, fashion shows, and a Firemen’s Fair and Clambake. The clambake was quite a big event. The firemen even traveled to the shore and did the clamming themselves. Later on, pork roast dinners were a big crowd pleaser and people would come from miles away.